Click here to return to our home page. Need a Ferry Pilot? Click here.

Ferry Trips
Click to learn more about ferry trips needing pilots, or having your plane ferried.
Ferry Pilots
See interesting articles we've posted on our home page over the years by clicking here.
Click to read my latest.

We have lots of Aviation Links
Interesting aviation and other videos
Click here to send us an email


September 4, 2011 Click here to mail this page to a friend.
Ignoring Clint Eastwood's advice in "Dirty Harry" that opinions, like certain body parts, are best kept to yourself.
Captain Dan Mack - U.S. Airways Guest columns are always welcome from our readers, Captain Dan Mack of U.S. Airways has an interesting story to tell.
The Storm
It's really weird how certain memories stick like fish in a hot iron skillet. They lay dormant for years, like a sleeping volcano, and suddenly explode to life without warning, particularly the ones that you would like to forget! So it is with a memory in my past, early in my flying career.

Miserable is the only description that fits for that gulf-coast summer morning in July, 1985. Don't get me wrong, the sun was shining brightly, but the temperature and dew point were the same, and both were in the upper seventies. Anyone in the aviation industry, particularly the flying end of it, knows that those two numbers, when in the seventies and low eighties is a recipe for boomers. I had a long day ahead, six legs and all single pilot. I was to leave PNS (Pensacola) and fly to MSY (New Orleans) for the first leg, MSY to PFN (Panama City, Fl.) the second. Then to TPA (Tampa, Fl.) for the third, JAX (Jacksonville, Fl.) for the fourth, back to PFN for the fifth and finally back to PNS. The first leg is the only one that went as planned. It was to be a twelve hour duty day, long by today's standards with two pilots, insane as a single pilot. I knew it would be difficult, but I also knew that it would be great Pilot- in- Command time that I desperately needed if I ever wanted to land that airline job. By the end of the day there existed one very broken airplane, that would more than likely never see the air again, and one frightened, young pilot that was very thankful to be on the green side of the grass!

High pressure off the coast of Florida dominated the south east, pumping in very wet air from the Gulf of Mexico. There was a fast-moving cold front extending out of a strong Low pressure approaching from the West; the "Bulls Eye" was centered between PNS and MSY, my route for the first two legs.

The Piper Navajo Chieftain's huge Continental TSIO-540's roared to life right on cue and right on schedule. A quick taxi to runway 16, followed by systems and run-up check, and my long day was underway. I only had five people, minimum luggage, and a scant fuel load, IFR minimums plus reserves. But, even with this light load, I was surprised how sluggishly she climbed in the hot and humid gulf-coast summer air.

At my cruise altitude of eight thousand feet, autopilot engaged, I switched on the weather radar for a test. Test pattern…..check! Tilt control……check! There's already a cell at 40 miles at my two o'clock position. Using my tilt I'll see how high this thing is. Hmmmm….this radar will not paint that cell even at this distance. No maintenance in New Orleans, I'll write that up when I get back to PNS.

I scanned the skies, the CU's were rapidly becoming TCU's and still building, thirty minutes into a one hour and 15 minute flight and I was already dodging the tops. By the time I descended into MSY there was a line of storms behind me, east of my position and west of my next destination. Buildups were rapidly turning into cells and super cells, requiring wide deviations during the approach and landing. I called dispatch for a weather briefing and to discuss the radar situation, and negotiate the next route of flight to Panama City, Fl. Had I known at that time, what I know now, I would never have left MSY with broken weather radar. I was young and st…uh…inexperienced, with just over 1500 hours total time, just enough to exercise privileges of A.T.P, and just enough also to learn how nasty a super cell can be! My Dispatcher consisted of a person in an office with a telephone to Flight Service. Looking back, I should have called from the company phone in New Orleans; I would have asked the right questions.

The line of building super-cells extended from 100 miles into Alabama to 60 miles into the Gulf of Mexico and was building rapidly, already containing tops above 30,000 feet. My cruise altitude to Panama City was filed for nine thousand feet. I turned on the weather radar, more out of habit, knowing already that it was a futile effort. It showed the same as the first leg, nothing but a test pattern. Lightning flashed to the North; there were rain showers out the bottoms to the south. Houston Center frequency was busy with commercial airlines deviating and diverting for fuel. I should have done the same. Gulfport, Mississippi was directly below with gusty winds but still in the clear. Like a fool, I pressed on. I listened in on company frequency; our flight from New Orleans to Pensacola was just a few miles ahead, in the building weather. He said his routing was just light to occasional moderate turbulence with no precipitation. I asked ATC to vector me on the same path as the company aircraft in front of me. This sounded like a good idea at the time, but due to my experience level, (or lack there of) I forgot to take into consideration the movement of the line. The few miles that separated my flight and the flight in front of me was enough to put me directly in the path of a building super-cell. The first down-draft hit like a giant hand pushing down on the top of the airplane. I need power! Mixtures full rich, props full forward, throttles…..push, push, they're all the way to the stops! I was still descending, eight thousand, seven thousand, finally stopping at six thousand feet. Out the windshield was an ominous green color, about the color of a sprout of peas. As quickly as the downdraft stopped, an updraft started. No matter what I tried, I could not hold altitude. Throttles idle! Control yoke push forward! Push, Push, Push hard! The updraft ended very abruptly, like hitting a ceiling. The altimeter started unwinding one more time, but this time the artificial horizon tumbled. The abrupt end to the updraft did internal damage, loosening the forward instrument panel. One male passenger was screaming, begging me to get him out of this storm. I was doing all I could just to hang on. The resulting downdraft, after the horizontal brick wall sent me tumbling down, I still had all the pieces but without the ADI, I could no longer tell which way was up, although I knew I was descending rapidly. Something flew past my head, (I later figured out it was my Jepp binder) I managed a quick radio call to Houston Center. "Center, flight 142 going down!" Houston's response was short but to the point, wanting to know the problem for my impending demise. I did not answer; I could not answer, I could just barely hang on to this wild ride.

As quickly as this nightmare started it ended; spitting me out the bottom of the cell at 1500 feet, nearly bottom side up; I would estimate 100 to 110 degrees of bank to the left, nose pointing down My Attitude Indicator was tumbled, showing only black. Out my windshield looking up I saw water, and quickly orienting myself, very abruptly righted myself with a violent control input. When right-side-up, I noticed that PNS was directly in front of me, called the tower there, dropped the gear and landed. Never in my life, even to this day, have I ever been so happy to be back on terra firma. At the gate the aircraft was damaged, with a buckled right wing main spar and a twisted fuselage, but all the pieces were still intact. I needed to sit on the exit step for a few minutes before I walked into the terminal. My knees had the consistency of melted butter, my hands were shaking, and I was sweating profusely. Fear had finally set in, especially when I realized how close I had just come to ending my own life and the lives of my passengers. As they exited the aircraft, they didn't say a word, not to each other and not to me; they were probably just as frightened as me, possibly more, although I find that hard to believe.

I learned several lessons that day: 1.) Trust your gut. If your gut is telling you not to do something, DO NOT DO IT! 2.) If weather radar doesn't test, don't for a minute believe that it will work anyway. 3.) If there is an airport that is clear and close and the weather in front is severe, LAND and wait. Thunderstorms always move, or rain themselves out. The safest maneuver is called a 180 degree turn. 4.) Never follow someone else into a line of weather. Remember, its building and moving at the same time. 5.) If commercial airlines are deviating and diverting, and you are in a light aircraft, do the same.

It's much better to be on the outside of a thunderstorm looking in, and enjoying the beauty and awesome power of it, than it is to be on the inside, wishing you were out. Avoid these weather phenomena at all cost. Although beautiful to look at, they are very dangerous to be close to in any aircraft.

I welcome responses, and will be glad to post them here. Email your remarks to

Adding Global Air Links to your website is free, easy to install, and helps build traffic. Click to learn more.
Most Recent Editorial

Recent Global Air Links:

Google is beginning to archive magazines and books, including this 2009 issue of Popular Science, with an interesting article about the ''human jet''.

United Airlines is replacing the hefty flight manuals and chart books its pilots have long used with 11,000 iPads carrying the same data.

The creators of ''Suddenly Senior'' have poured their time and love into one of the most trusted senior websites.

the wild roller-coaster ride of incredible weather events during 2010 makes that year the planet's most extraordinary year for extreme weather since reliable global upper-air data began in the late 1940s.

The Liberty Belle often stopped at the Aurora Airport to give paid flights to people interested in vintage aircraft, and provide free flights to WWII veterans.

Check the weather at airports all over the USA.

Unfortunately, this can and does happen.

Abandoned and little-known airfields.

Click on the map for severe weather warnings in your area.

In 2007, Mike Magnell flew for Kam Air, an airline operating in one of the most dangerous spots in the world.

The Runaway Airplane! by Steve Weaver, published in the Spring 2010 issue of ''Goldenseal'' magazine.

Ferry Trips | Ferry Pilots |Articles | Editorials | Aviation Links | Financing | Videos | Home

For more information, call us at 763-389-9399.
Specifications are based upon owner's representations and subject to buyer's verification. Aircraft are subject to prior sale or removal from market. Occasionally, registration numbers on photos may be altered or removed to protect the privacy of the owner, and to ensure that buyers will work with us to complete the purchase.